Monday, July 20, 2009

I Survived Cook Forest State Park


I don't like to title posts about camping like this because I absolutely love camping but this had to be stated. Thursday morning our clan headed out to Western Pa to go camping at Cook Forest State Park. It is known for it's 300+ year old trees that were mercifully preserved by Anthony Cook a logger who set aside many acres of his best trees for conservation in the late 1800's. It is a National Natural Landmark. Some of the trees are over a 100 feet tall and one is even a record 16 feet in diameter. We were all very excited to go to this park. It all started out so great but then went terribly bad.

Day one was fine. We arrived late afternoon, set up quickly and hung around the campground. The sites were pretty tight for State Park standards but all was quiet. We had a good evening.

Day two was rainy. We hiked early in the morning and saw some amazing landscapes, deer, a lynx and beautiful native birds. We walked to the oldest part of the forest called the Cathedral and were simply amazed at it's beauty. Then we headed back after the rain began to steadily pour down. Back at the camp ground we were amazed to find it fully packed. We kept a good attitude even with some very rude obnoxious neighbors. One group just happen to be a Church group out on a Youth retreat. We also had a huge camper pull in across from us. It was odd because we were in a non-electric zone. Well wouldn't you know they pulled out this honkin' generator. It ran all day long until about 1am in the morning.

Any way, on Friday it never got above 65 degrees. The rain was cold and the air was freezing. After dinner everyone went to bed except me. I threw up the entire night. We are still at a lose to why I got so violently sick. At one point we deliberated about taking me to the hospital when I could not stop shaking uncontrollably. I just kept hanging in there and praying my boots off. My Knight sat with me in the rain, in the cold while I threw up by a tree until 4 in the morning. Finally I crawled into our tent and fell asleep for 2 hours. The funny thing was a raccoon scurried by me while I was getting sick in the middle of the night and stopped and looked at me. I must have been delirious because all I could to was laugh.

Day three was miserable but we kept going and trying to keep a positive attitude. It rained some more and never got above 65 again. I just sat under our dinning tent and read a book while the boys played in the rain and made bows and arrows out of fallen tree limbs my Knight had found. They did such a great job letting me rest. I just kept popping Pepto and praying I would not throw up any more. It was a long day.

Day four finally showed us some sun. It still was chilly only barely breaking 70 degrees or so. I grinned and bared it another morning. After a light breakfast I had enough strength to go on a hike near the river. We had to walk a little slower but it was nice to get away from vomit ground zero. There the boys played in the river and my Knight fished while I reclined on a rock. It was good until some copperheads decided they wanted my rock more.

Day five we woke up early broke down camp and headed home. In spite of all of that the boys said they had a great time and when I wasn't getting sick or run off by poisonous snakes I did enjoy it too. So here are some photos of our time at Cook Forest. I can honestly say I survived!!!!

DK on the river.


Green Arrow & Robin Hood


Don't eat these!

Rocker wanted us to kiss & take our picture!
Rocker looking for minnows & crayfish.


Fire Tower #9 that everyone climbed except me.
Too many stairs for this tired mama.

My wilderness men.


Deep in the Forest Cathedral.


The boys building on the river.



Shaggy playing on the river.


Just a wildflower I found. I love nature!










3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome!! I so look forward to being able to do things like this with my family...

But, I think we don't even know where to begin. It's been about 11 years since I was camping, and I know J has never been.... :)

After His heart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
After His heart said...

I deleted my first comment because I forgot a word, here is what I meant to say:

I hope when you look back on this trip, you will remember all the wonderful things in these pictures and not the vomiting. I really like the kissing picture.....