Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Mommy Lie- Part One


Matt. 25:21&23
"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things."
How many times have I heard this verse used in reference to mommy-hood. Oh my goodness, too many to count. It seems like one of those all-purpose verses we like to stick on every circumstance that comes our way. You know how you have an all-purpose cleaner you can supposedly use to clean everything with but in reality the window cleaner cleans the windows the best and the oven cleaner cleans the oven the best. That's how I have come to feel about his verse. We don't know the real meaning behind the verse so we stick it on everything. It works. Try it. You can say it too your kids when they are struggling with school, you can say it to your spouse regarding work and you can say it to yourself as you raise your children. Even though it has been used in such a manner I don't believe the Holy Spirit really wants it to be so flippantly quoted.

I have heard it said so many times to moms struggling in the early years of child rearing. "If you are faithful in the little things now the Lord will give you so much more." It is being referenced to children. I don't know if it is society, western culture or and the Body at large that gives this impression to moms but it is there. The Mommy Lie consists of us believing our children are our "little" ministry endeavor now and latter the Lord will bless us with a greater ministry. That's just not true.

I used to believe this lie. I had so many people tell me, "Livin, one day you are going to have a powerful ministry. The Lord is going to work mightily through you to reach others. Be patient now as you raise your children your ministry will come." I honestly became bitter towards my children and the Lord for giving them to me. They are interrupting my plans and my ministry opportunities. Now granted I loved my kids but think about it, every time a conference came I couldn't go because of my little kids. Every time their was a ministry opportunity I couldn't do it because of my little kids. Bitterness began to creep into me even with my undying love for my children.

The Lord took many years to knock some sense into me but I finally heard the truth about the Mommy Lie. My kids are the "greater" things not the little. I do believe this verse in Matthew does speak about the Lord giving us small portions of our destinies, giftings and ministries so that we may build on to each level but this has nothing to do with children. I looked this verse forwards and backwards and upside down. This verse does not have anything to do with raising kids.

Your children are your greatest ministry. Think of it this way, what if you had a powerful ministry like Joyce Myers but your children never encountered the Lord? What if you could see miracles and signs and wonders but your children never stepped into their destinies? Would your ministry be fulfilling? My heart and the heart of my husband is to see that each and every person in our family walks in the fullness their destiny. I have found that when I stopped seeing my children as a hindrance to my ministry or calling I found rest. I wasn't rushing through life and I wasn't holding on to bitterness either. Wether you have children or not your calling will make room for you, you don't have to make room for your calling.

I have also found that we now move as a unit. I love and have loved watching my children step into their calling at very young ages. They honestly have taught me more than any preacher or conference could ever have about God.

So next time you hear "Well if you are just faithful in this right now you will be given much" in regards to your kids just tell them "No thank you." Or if you are like me "Just shut-up will you."

Since I wrote a lot today I will share with you tomorrow how to walk in your calling with young ones while training them up to walk in their callings...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Word. :)

I have never heard that verse used regarding motherhood (or parenthood)...but I have heard it in many other mis-represented ways.

However, lately, the Lord has been saying that to me a lot in areas like my attitude and other 'inward' things. He quickly impresses the portion (he who is faithful) on my heart and I am able to chose my reaction at that moment....and I must say - it's been quite a joy to see the outcome. :)

Natalie said...

Thanks. I needed that.

After His heart said...

I'm sure many momma's have felt like life was passing them by while they were raising their children. There is no one else we have the opportunity to pour more into than our children and and have the pleasure of rejoicing with them as they live in the Truth's we have given to them!

Thanks for sharing this valuable Truth with many!