Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Brand New Journey For Me


It is now three weeks and counting until I start my brand new journey. I have finished our church's School of Ministry and the opportunity to take an internship opened up for my husband and I this fall. For the most part our church funnels interns into various areas of ministry with in the church but a different door opened for Scott and I. One of the ministries that works closely with our church and various other church's in our region offered to take us on as interns for the year. This is something brand spanking new for our School of Ministry and for Scott and I. We have never worked outside of our church through ministry before.

Teaching The Word Ministry is located in Lancaster, Pa an hour away from our home. After much prayer on both sides we came together two weeks ago to confirm the Lords hand in this new endeavor. Wow, what a new journey this will be unfolding for us. Scott will be still working a full time job so TTWM has offered to incorporate him in evening functions and weekend seminars. For me however, I will be traveling twice a week to their office and working from there. Then the other two days I will be working from home.

This is very exciting but at the same time it is rocking my world. You see I did not work in a corporate setting before I got married. I never even stepped into an office before that. I was a Nurses Aide in nursing homes before I became pregnant and stayed home with the boys. I guess you can say I traded in adult size diapers for little ones when I transferred over to motherhood. Working in a Nursing Home is nothing like office work either. Basically your left on your own to care for patients. Other then your patients you don't have much interaction with people. Especially on the floors I worked on because it was an intensive care/dementia unit. Most of the people I worked with were either in a vegetative state or trapped deep within the recesses of their minds. Not much difference then working with newborns, toddlers or preschoolers just on a larger scale.:)

So I am nervous. I am scared a bit. I am unsure of my own abilities and giftings. I think to myself "Are we certain everyone heard correctly from the Lord. Remember now I am just a mom." I have realized even though I never meant for my identity to get wrapped up in my daily duties of a mom it has. It is hard for me to see past myself as a mother but I know God did not just make me to be a mom. Its not my identity. Right now I am seeing that I need an identity upgrade and perhaps this internship is a tool the Lord is going to use to do that. We sat with the team at TTWM and they showed us an outline of everything we will be trained to do this year. Wow, talk about intense!

The amazing thing was their take on my participation. They explained that for each step I will be trained and then released into each of those areas of ministry. What??? You mean I actually have to do stuff other then organize the supply closet?? Are you kidding me?? As you can see I am a little overwhelmed at this whole new journey. I am definitely ready and willing to obey the Lord and take on this internship but it doesn't mean my knees won't be a knocking. It's time for me to take the plunge. It's time for me to learn new things and go on a new and exciting adventure. I have to come up with an "Internship Expectation" list. So far all I can come up with is 1) I survive the internship!!! So if you think of me this fall pray for me. I am interested in seeing what the Lord is going to do in and through Scott and I both and our children. So here we go!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yippy! :)

Walking in the Lord's direction is fun...and it's always exciting to hear the directions that our friends are walking too....I can't wait! :)

After His heart said...

Oh yes, mom is only one role you will play in your life. I know you will be stretched, and you will be surprised at all He enables you to do!!! We can't wait to see and hear what this next year opens up in both of you!