Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Smile in the Midst of Sickness

DK now is sick. He has been running a fever of 104-102 for the last two days. Last night he started throwing up and I had the night time shift so Scott could make it to work in the morning. Nothing gets you up and running out of a dead sleep like the sound of a puking child.

Anyway, my Knight let me sleep in while he took the other two to the bus stop.

Then a little while later I heard...

very quietly "Mommmmm, hey Mommmmm"

When my eyes finally popped opened I saw my poor, pale white DK standing by my bed smiling. It was quite the sight. I then heard him say "I puked in the toilet all by myself. You didn't have to help me. I didn't even miss." Still smiling ear to ear, still pale and sickly.

He was so proud of himself. I just had to chuckle.

He asked for "his soda" which is Ginger Ale because no one else can drink it during flu season except the sick person. While getting him Ginger Ale he proceeded to ask me what could he eat. Here was his list...

DK "Can I have a banana, is that good for my stomach?"

Me"No honey, not good."

DK "Can I have cereal, is that OK for my stomach?"

Me "Nope not good either."

DK "Can I have fudge?"

I smiled and brought him a piece of toast and Ginger Ale. I could see the disappointment on his face but he started to cheer up when the soda made him burp. He told me he likes to burp when he's sick it makes him feel better. With that he ate his toast slowly turning it into as many Letters and Numbers as he could with each bite.

I need a few smiles in the midst of flu season. This will carry me through more puking and clean-up. :)

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I can picture it all. :) You are the best mom in the world!

After His heart said...

Way to find the pleasant in the unpleasant!!

Mrs. C said...

What a sweetheart. The jump from relatively healthy food to junk makes me giggle. Praying for complete health and wholeness in your household!

Beautiful Grace said...

Feel better in Jesus' name, DK!!!! AMEN!!!!