Wednesday, July 30, 2008

OOPS! How Old Am I Again?


I went to the doctors for that lovely "yearly" check up. The Nurse Practitioner than began asking me a long list of questions like "Do you smoke, drink, do drugs, have problems breathing, have diabetes..." & so on. She then finished with "How old are you?". The thought briefly flew through my head "Just look at my chart and figure it out" but I obliged and responded with "Twenty-sev......", Oh wait that's not my age! I quickly coughed a few times so as to disguise my mistake and then added "31!"

I thought she might have missed it with my brilliant coughing disguise but to my dismay she turned smiling and asked "So dear are you 27 or 31?" Dejected I said 31. I have no idea why I tried blurting out 27 or why that number was in my head. I actually don't mind being 31 but maybe I feel 27, I don't know. Well I am going to go and stare at my birth certificate for awhile and hopefully burn my birth date into my memory so I can recall my proper age.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

You're not the only one! I often have to ask Shawn how old I am.
It's not like when you're ten and that's the first question everybody asks you. You're looking forward to eleven, and so it's always on your mind. What adult starts a conversation with "How old are you?" So, we're not used to giving our age. I think I'm still 12.

Hands-Free Heart said...

funny :) Although my usual instinct is within a year or so of my real age, it is hard to keep up with the years as they pass! I've got less than 4 years till 40, and that's way too hard to comprehend!

Beautiful Grace said...

Most of the time, I have to check myself by subtracting my birth year from the current year. I usually make myself a yeaar older though, unless I'm really thinking about it.