Monday, September 14, 2009

Starting A New Year Now!!

I know this might seem silly but celebrating our New Year in January has always bothered me. By January much of your planning has taken place, kids have already begun their school year and routines are usually firmly in place by then. Also January is smack dab right in the thick of winter. Days are shorter, colder and some what gloomier. How in the world am I supposed to start my New Year then? How am I to begin and celebrate the coming of a new season in the midst of the death of winter?

I like the fall. Let me say it this way, I Love The Fall!! I love the season and the weather. I love the changing of the leaves and all this time brings. The fall represents to me the end of growth and time for harvest. It is the time for reaping and preparing for the winter. To me it just seems more like the end of a year and the beginning of something new. So why can't I celebrate my New Year now? So much has changed and new things are already happening. My New Year is not starting in January it has already begun.

Let me share with you what I mean. This Sept. I began my internship with Teaching The Word Ministries. This will go for a year from now not beginning and ending in January. I was given the opportunity to get a Gym membership and so now I am beginning a new fitness routine. I know that if I tried to start something like this in January it would be a lot harder for me with the cold temps. and dark mornings. If I can get in the habit now when winter hits full force I will already had this routine established and just continue on. The boys have also started their school year and daily routines and habits for the year have taken root.

So I am celebrating my New Year now! I see the great things the Lord has for us as a family and the blessings He has already established for us in this New Year. Why wait? So here's to a New Year! Cheers and Happy New Year everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well...now, you should know that this is really the start of the new year - the Jewish new year at least. Rosh Hoshanna, Yom Kippur, and Sukkot.

Rosh Hashanah - Days of Awe - Rosh Hashanah means, literally, head of the year. Rosh Hashanah is commonly known as the Jewish New Year.
Yom Kippur - the Day of Atonement
Sukkot - Feast of Tabernacles

All three holy-days are celebrated in this season...as the culmination of a new year.... :)

So, really...you're right on. :)

Enjoy this new year and all that the Lord will be offering!

Kelli said...

Hurrah! Happy New Year!!
I love fall too. It's beautiful.
Gym membership? Wow. You've always been my hero, but now, well, you're just super woman...Nah, Wonder Woman. She had awesome boots...