Thursday, February 5, 2009

11 Years and Counting

Sunday Feb. 8th will be our 11th Wedding Anniversary. This photo was not of our wedding 11 years ago but at our Renewal 6 years ago. Scott was 25 and I was 26 years old. We eloped 11 years ago and after 5 years of marriage decided to celebrate our covenant properly.

Even with very little money coming in and three young boys (4, 3 & newborn) we saved enough money to pay for our own renewal to honor our friends and try to heal family relations that were damaged by our elopement. We invited over 40 of our dear friends from church and a few relatives. I bought a real wedding dress and we redid our ceremony with Pastor Steve Blayer as the officiate and Pastor Shawn Geraty as Scott's best man. My sister stood in for my maid of honor.

It was a night of celebration. Money worth spent. As we declared our vows out loud in front of our close friends the words came with power and authority this time. It was a pivotal point in our struggling marriage that began to turn the tides to healing and wholeness as a couple.

Now we look back with found memories. Our original wedding date was Feb. 6th but because of the impact that the renewal had on our lives we now celebrate the 8th. Sounds strange but that's just how we do it. When Scott bought my ring the jewelery maker commented about how easily the ring was made. He was a Jewish man in Camp Hill who owned his own business showcasing much of his work in NYC. My ring is actually an original fashioned from the unique style of this man's grandmothers ring. He told Scott that he could tell what marriages would last and which ones would not. He said God gave him the gift and when he struggled with a ring he knew the couple would have a hard time in life. If rings came together quickly he knew marriages would last but if it was a very difficult ring he knew the marriage would fail. Surprisingly he had quite the track record for being right even for him to know his own marriage was going to fail. Although one could suppose by knowing this ahead of time that early doubt might have subconsciously played into the failed marriage.

Anyway, our ring was difficult at times to fire but in the end the man said it came out beautifully. I can honestly say that's how it has all been these last 11 years. The fire has been hot and has burned at times but the gold only gets purer and the diamond only shines that much brighter.My Knight, my love is one of the the most precious gifts God has given (I say one because He has blessed me with three additional precious gifts since our covenant). We have been through the sickness and health bit of the vows. We have seen our marriage last in midst of want and need but God has always provided. We have even been through the darkness and shadow to come out the other side into the light. I hesitate to even say we will see these through the end until death does us part because for me I have met my soul mate. I don't believe death will separate our love. Don't throw any theology at this romantic, idealistic, visionary I don't want to hear of it. I believe that God loves a good love story. Why would he have sent his Son to die for His Bride? So in the end heaven will be another continuation of our love story. Death could not separate God's Son from His Bride so I believe in my heart it will not separate my love from me.

Here's to 11 years and so many more to come!! I love you my dear beloved Knight!

9 comments:

Mrs. C said...

Congrats! May you continue to be greatly blessed!!!

Promises said...

Beautiful - you and your story!

Anonymous said...

This is awesome you two. :)

I think you're the first couple I know that has eloped...

Thanks for sharing. :)

After His heart said...

Oh, I can tell you it only gets better with age!!! And someday, you will say with a wide grin on your face "we've been married 40 years" and you'll be excited about every new day thereafter.

Kelli said...

My eyes were watering and my heart was leaping at the end of this post. I love to hear about your marraige. I LOVE it! And I agree with you, God does love a good love story! Yours must make Him want to make pop corn. ;)

Beautiful Grace said...

Now, I'm crying. I love a good Love story!!!

Natalie said...

That's the best love story I've ever heard. Beautiful.

Melissa said...

Happy Anniversary...what a rich Godly heritage you both have created with Him at the center!

The Gang's Momma! said...

Happy Anniversary! What a treasure you have in each other and your story.