Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Signifigance of 33


Tomorrow I turn 33. I don't mind it as much as I thought I would. I thought my 30's would be difficult to accept but I am really enjoying this time of my life. Today while I was at work the team (the Founder, Director & Ministry Assistant) helped me celebrate my birthday with cake, cards and prayer. It was a beautiful moment for me. Their sincerity and love brought me such profound peace and joy. One thing that was mentioned was my age. They reminded me of how significant 33 is. The Founder of Teaching The Word Ministry, Brother Key as he likes to be referred to in emails, shared how he took his 33rd birthday as a year of identifying with Christ in his 33rd year. See Christ was crucified when he was 33. Leading up to that time though, it was a year of understanding His full purpose and destiny. He knew he would be united with His father through his death and resurrection.

In Jewish tradition a child, especially sons, were not referred to as sons until 30 years old. That was the age when a father stopped calling his son a child and now called him his son. It was the year that the father recognized the son's ability and responsibility to take charge of the fathers household. Hmmmmm...doesn't that remind you of a time in the Bible?! Jesus was estimated to be 30 when he entered his ministry. Many believe this because at the time of John baptizing Jesus, God spoke "This is My Son in whom I am well pleased." The Jewish people of that day would have recognized that as the Father giving the Son authority over the household. That would also confirm the age of 30. You could also not be recognized as a priest until you turned 30 as described in Leviticus.

So here I am pondering my age and wondering what will this year bring? I am excited and nervous about this new revelation. Christ did many great things at 33 but more importantly he died to himself for the purpose of redeeming creation. He laid down his life for his Father. What is it that I will be dieing to this year? How will the Father allow me to connect with Jesus at 33? I don't know what it will be but it will be interesting to look back next year and see what the Lord did. I also find it significant that Scott and I are celebrating our 12th wedding anniversary in two weeks. Wow!! Numbers, numbers, numbers. Nothing is a coincidence with God!

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Very cool.I didn't know that bit about being called a son at 30. Very cool indeed.

The Gang's Momma! said...

Happy Birthday :)

Krazy Klingers said...

Happy birthday!!!! And i love being in my 30's...it is so much better than the awkward 20's!

Beautiful Grace said...

Happy, 33rd Birthday!!! Daughter to the God of the Universe!!!

Amelia Antwiler said...

it's belated - but happy birthday!!!!

I enjoyed, very much, being 33. I'm having a difficult time with 37. And God is constantly reminding me that age matters not to him. And that is such a comfort to me.