Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Getting To The Bottom Of Things

We had another rough morning yesterday with Shaggy refusing to get on the bus while we were at the bus stop and the bus was waiting. I sort of lost it and felt backed into a corner so I snapped. In my black leather jacket holding coffee (looking extremely hard core) I yelled "Don't make me put you on that bus son. Get your backside on that bus or else." I am sure I impressed every parent there and will be receiving the Mom Of the Year award this year.

I have been personally struggling with Shaggy's behavior. Walking home I called my husband and unloaded on him and then totally went drama queen on the Lord. I spat out that Shaggy is on his way to becoming a rebellious child and woe is me and sell drugs and blah, blah, blah. I know it sounds horrible. Then I hear the Lord say "Are you all done? You are definitely overly dramatic sometimes." Gasp!! God just told me I was overly dramatic. He then proceeded to tell me Shaggy is struggling with no friends at school and being picked on. 

My heart broke and I repented of thinking those curses and thoughts over Shaggy. I waited until he got home later that afternoon and gave him a big hug. We went into the computer room and had a talk. Low and behold (like God wasn't going to be right) Shaggy divulged everything. He is being picked on at school because he is in some advanced areas of Math, Science and Reading. Kids are making fun him because he is blessed with intelligence. He is also being picked on at recess because he is not the most athletic right now. He has so many growth spurts that he gets awkward and doesn't have great balance at times. He told me no one wants him on their team and he gets traded for other kids. Then if he is on their team they yell at him and call him a loser.

I felt crushed and hurt for my son. My first reaction (in my heart) was to go to school and teach those kids a lesson or two but I didn't want to share that with him. I told him I was so sorry and I wish I had known sooner.

We talked for a while and we are still in the process of helping him through this but the big thing is we got to the bottom of this. Sometimes our kids can't express themselves or may have difficulty so they just react. What I thought was pure rebellion was really his pain pouring out. He didn't want to tell me because he told me dad and I are really good at sports and we would be ashamed of him. Well, I didn't let that one go and gave him a big hug and told him how much we loved him no matter what he did. 

Today Shaggy got on the bus with no problems and a lighter heart. God is good. We will still be praying for wisdom on how to handle this with the school but to see his smiling face this morning and to get a great big kiss from him too melted my heart. I know now I must pursue my children just like the Father is always pursuing me.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

What a good Mom you are! Seriously, you are amazing. You listened to the Lord and it worked! And you didn't beat those other kids up! yay! :)

I must say that I will be praying for Shaggy, like I prayed for Melissa's #3. :)

Melissa said...

We're praying...unfortunately, we live in a world where children and adults are so careless with their words and actions. I'm so shocked at the endless stories people have of bullying and teasing! I'll be praying for Shaggy to know he is never alone and for any spirit of rejection to be gone.

Hands-Free Heart said...

Sweet. It's a nice reminder of how it really helps both us and others when we take things right to the Lord. Thanks for sharing.

Promises said...

Being a kid, tenn, adult (person!) is not an easy thing - there are definitely times when you feel rejected...at all stages of life. It is always good to have someone that loves you take the time to see why you are acting the way you are (like you did with Shaggy) and then to let him know that you love him unconditionally. That is something that will always stay with him. He needs to know that - we all do!

You are an excellent mom, and an encouragement to many to seek God in all things. God is good! He helped me to find Brady's favorite blanket the other day - that may seem like not a big deal, but for nap time...it is a BIG deal. God knows this, and He cares about us in all things! :)