Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The 5 Love Languages of Children


It's a book by Gary Chapman & Ross Campbell. It is based off of the book The Five Love Languages that Gary Chapman also authored. We picked up a copy the other day and my Knight and I have been reading it. For the most part the Love Languages are the same but it helps to explain how children express them differently than adults do. The best part is it has a Love Language test at the end of the book for your kids to take. It's similar to the one in the other book but kids understand it. So we had the boys take the test. We were right on with Rocker and Shaggy because they are similar to my husband and I but Drama King blew us away. Here are the results....

Shaggy's Love Languages (1-least used 10- most used)

Physical Touch- 3
Words Of Affirmation- 2
Gifts- 4
Acts Of Service- 4
Quality Time- 7
Rocker's Love Languages
Physical Touch- 5
Words Of Affirmation- 1
Gifts- 6
Acts of Service- 1
Quality Time- 7
DK's Love Languages
Physical Touch-4
Words of Affirmation- 1
Gifts- 5
Acts of Service- 3
Quality Time- 7

The funny thing is how high each of them scored on Quality Time. Now my Knight and I are going to re-evaluated how we express our love to each of them . For me Physical Touch is easy because I flow naturally in Physical Touch as my main Love Language where as for my Knight that is harder for him. Quality Time won't be too hard either because that is both  our top Love Languages. The only problem comes by the finding of time for Quality Time.

The book also stressed that their Love Languages may changed with them as they grow and go through various stages of life but for now it helps us identify how we can best show our love to them at this time. We might need to work a little on this.

I guess I am writing this to encourage parents and spouses to take a look at this. It has helped us a lot in our marriage and I believe it will help us communicate love to our children very effectively. Go out and give it a try.

No comments: