Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Embarassing Ordeal At the Pharmacy


Yesterday I had to go to the Pharmacy to pick up a bucket load of prescriptions for my bronchitis and sinus infection. It was after school let up so the boys were with me. It's not really bad taking the boys places any more. They are pretty good and nothing near like it was when they were all under 4.

I had to wait a little longer than normal to have them filled out since there were 4 prescriptions all together. We did run around the grocery store for a little and I let the boys pick out their own soda or drink of their choice (that's a big thing in our house). After a paid for that stuff we walked back to the Pharmacy department to wait some more.

Well the funniest thing happened. The boys got busy looking at all the pharmacy stuff for sale on the wall next to the pick-up window. It was maily diabetic strips and testers and things. Then they followed the wall to the end. To my horror I relized they were looking and pointing to the Birth Control/Pregnacy test wall. They were litterally pointing and touching the boxs of condoms all neatly displayed. As I gasped I realized there were other adults around them pointing and looking very disgusted as these three young men seem to be captivated by the boxes of condoms.

I yelled, queitly (if that is at all possible) "Boys, get over here." All the people turned to see they belonged to me. I burst into laughter as the boys walked over. I asked them "What in the world are you looking at?" One of them replied they were looking at the Trojan boxes, were they trading cards? I began to laugh even harder. "No, the are certainly not trading cards?" Rocker and Shaggy thought it was about the Trojan horse and the Greeks and all that.

So when they realized it wasn't trading cards they asked what were they. I said they were condoms. Now take into consideration I am standing in line with other adults all around me waiting on their meds so I am trying to keep our voices down. Shaggy pipes up really loud "Condoms!"

I tried shushing him but now all three were in a frenzy trying to guess what condoms were. Oh my word!!! We have had the "Talk" with the two older ones and we even had this specific topic but for some reason they didn't remember. So I quickly and queitly explain what it was. The two olders ones said very loudly, "Oh yeah, I remember!" and then squirmed around and made disgusted faces. DK who wasn't privy to the converstaion because he was fliting around the bake goods counter came back singing a song about condoms. The child sings and dances constantly but why a song about condoms only the Lord knows.

So they call me to the counter. I quickly snatched the meds and rushed my embarassing crew out to the car to finish our conversation. Then at breakfast this morning they remembered to share this all with their dad. My Knight almost split his side laughing so hard. I asked him why is it he is never around for this stuff? Why do I get all the sex questions and conversations? He smile and replied "You are a mom of three boys, get used to it."

So if you ever see three boys about 10, 8 & 6 standing around the condom display rack don't panic just look for the woman trying to hide in the corner of the store, it's probably my three learning more facts of life or disusing the Trojan wars.

8 comments:

Beautiful Grace said...

I'm sorry you were embarrassed, but this story is so funny!!!!

Tiffany said...

Oh. my. word. I just read this post with my mouth open. I couldn't even bring myself to chuckle because I was so mortified imagining what you felt like at that moment. Is this what I have to look forward to?

Anonymous said...

Life is fun(ny). :)

Kelli said...

And your reward for being a mom of three wonderful boys is that you get to share the BEST stories!!

After His Heart said...

As a mother of boys, all I could do was chuckle, out loud. One thing you won't be able to say is, "life is boring"! Love you, and the boys too!

Hands-Free Heart said...

You made me laugh... out loud! This is so funny, and yet I know it could be me any day now. Squiggly-Wiggly loves to sing songs and he can read too. Oh boy, I think I'll stick to our pharmacy's drive thru.

Natalie said...

You've left me speechless with that story!

The Gang's Momma! said...

HILARIOUS! Been there. Too many times to count. One of the hazards of Shaggy learning to read REALLY early was all the stuff he tried to pronounce. OUT. LOUD. In the middle of CVS. I feel your pain :)

Thanks for the giggle.