Wednesday, January 7, 2009

One Of Those Days

Warning: This is a girly post!

Last night I was hit with some really bad pain. By 12pm I realized I had a full blown UTI. I am prone to these and get 2-3 a year. We prayed and it seemed to be healed, then at 2 am it came back harder then before. So I arose this morning with a two hour school delay and called the Dr.'s. The only opening today was at 8:30am and it was 8:05am. The boys had to be at school at 9:30am and we had not had breakfast yet.

So I looked at the clock, looked at the boys and said "Sure I can be there in 20 minutes." Uhhggg! What was I thinking. Probably not thinking about much other then the pain at that point. So I race get everyone dressed, grab book bags, call the school to let them know they might be late and race out the door. Then I realized my van is frozen. So in the rain I start the van and chip the ice off. Now I am down to 10 minutes left and the office is about 15 minutes away. 

So I hurry but not too much because of the roads. Thankfully we make it on time but as I pull up I see my gas light go on. I drop that in the back of my mind and race in. The boys have been inquiring the whole time about what a UTI is. Nothing is sacred in my life. It's just one open book for these 4 men in my life. So then we go back to the doctors office. The boys asked a million and one questions that I just didn't have the patience to answer but some how did. The doctor was shocked when he came in to find me with three boys. He asked if I wanted to send them outside but I just smiled and replied "Unless you need me to strip, their fine." I think my answer took him by surprise. He just said "That's not necessary" and went on with the process. After a few pokes and prods I was out and back in the van.

Now the boys remind me they hadn't had breakfast yet. I look at my gas tank and pray. We run down the road and find a McDonalds. I pull up and order. You would have thought Christmas came twice for the boys. They were so thrilled to get breakfast at McDonalds. I grab the bags at the window and toss the boys their meals then run to the gas station. Finally we reached the school before the second bell and scoot them across the icy street and into their warm school. 

I am back now after going to the store and getting a prescription. Now I am nursing a sprained ankle to after I flopped myself down on the sidewalk trying to get our neighbors trash cans from out of the road. Oh brother, it's just been one of those days. By the way does anyone have any natural health remedies for preventing UTI's? I saw a couple at the store but didn't know if any of them worked. I really need help in this area.

6 comments:

Amelia Antwiler said...

I'm a little stressed after reading that. I need some deep breathing...

In..
out...
in........
ouuuuut......

I've always been told Cranberry juice.

Anonymous said...

Fun times...*sheesh*

Blueberries also have compounds similar to those of cranberries...fresh plump blueberries are good. Very high in antioxidants too. Most berries are also rich in flavonols, which are actually a potent inhibitor against the adhesion of the E-coli type bacteria to human cells...(so it doesn't stick).

Typically, UTI's stem from a problem of bacterial flora in the intestine.

Actually, studies show that eating more fresh fruit and drinking more berry juices can lower risk of recurrence. cranberries are well documented to treat UTI however, the diluted processed cranberry juice available in most commercial grocery stores is not your best bet. Instead, eat whole fresh cranberries, raw juice from health stores, or capsules of cranberry extract are far better options.

Not recommended...but helpful is the consumption of fermented milk products. (yukky, but helpful).

Keep in mind - eating berries such as blueberries or cranberries will help - but it takes a lot to get the chemical compounds God put inside them to activate. It's not just a handful of blueberries I'm talking about. Capsules of extract are much more potent - and might not leave you with other undesirable results as are possible with the consumption of a lot of berries. :-\

Natalie said...

I agree with ComfyDenim, I'm a little stressed out reading about your morning. And i agree with Iam4Jesus and all of her great berry advice. She took the words right out of my keyboard.

Anonymous said...

Natalie...

Iam4Jesus is a He. ;)

Beautiful Grace said...

For years, I had suffered with nasty UTI's. The cycle started back when I was pregnant with Fire. The first one I had actually started mild pre-term labor and boy, was I upset to see the commode full of blood. I thought I was miscarrying!!!

Then I had 2-3 UTI's each year...YUCK!!! I finally saw a urologist who placed me on antibiotics for one month, and that did the trick. I was free of them for years, until a few years ago when I was struggling emotionally. The infections surfaced again, and again, I saw a urologist who decided that maybe I had something called interstitial cystitis. Drinking things like sodas, eating spicy foods, not drinking enough water, etc. would irritate my bladder and set me up for an infection. The main thing for me is to watch the irritation and what I am doing is taking something called prelief (calcium based). It neutralizes the acids in food and keeps my bladder from irritation. I rarely have infections anymore. You could try it. I wouldn't take it with an antibiotic though.

Promises said...

wow - what a day! You got lots of great advice - I always heard drinking cranberry juice - I guess it is the berry thing!

I also heard that eating yogurt helps to keep yeast infections away - not that you asked, but that is another problem that women encounter sometimes!