Thursday, June 5, 2008

Can I Bend Someone's Ear For A Minute?

I don't like to complain but I feel as though I need to vent. You see I am working in our church's Royal Rangers program right now and I am very frustrated. See Royal Rangers is just not my thing, but because I have three boys who are in the program (my youngest will be joining the ranks this fall) it has to be my thing. My husband and I tag team in the teaching, however, with his crazy work schedule and getting called out of our Wed. night classes for other meetings I am usually left to teach.

I love the kids and seeing them succeed but what happens when you are volunteering because you have too? Does that matter or should you volunteer any way? To understand my frustration you have to know I am not a sit around watch everyone work kind of person. I do volunteer a lot. I just don't have any passion for this ministry. Frankly I do it because if we weren't involved there would be no Royal Rangers program at church and our boys would not have that opportunity. Some part of me wouldn't care if we didn't go to church every Wed. night because we are really involved in church in other ways, but I know my boys enjoy it and I don't want to hurt the boys involved who have put their time and effort into coming.

So I drudge through it every week. I photo copy, shop for supplies, keep track of badges, set up the lessons and give my husband the run down every Wednesday night, when ever he can teach, but I don't enjoy it. So what should I do or should I say what can I do? I can't quit because then my husband would quit too and we are the only teachers for Ranger Kids (K-2grade). I also can't find any other men who want to serve which I find very sad. Right now between myself and my good friend (who is also another mom) we are the main teachers for Ranger Kids and Discovery Kids(grades 3-6). So 2 moms hold down the Royal Ranger fort here and we are both becoming very burnt out. I know with my friend she also fills in with Missionettes when ever there is a need. So she gets pulled in two directions.

So any advice, suggestions or wisdom? I am really struggling with what to do. I will keep going for my kids sake because they are always worth the struggle but is that OK? Is it alright to keep doing something just for your kids even when it really should be someone else? UHHHGGG!!!

Thanks for letting me vent, I needed that.

8 comments:

Kelli said...

Sitting. Thinking. Trying to come up with some encouraging thought. Feeling similar about VBS and other assorted children's ministry things. I'm just gonna go with: I'm putting you on my prayer list for this and various other things. You are loved and appreciated. :)

Natalie said...

Sometimes we continue doing things we don't like to do b/c we don't think anyone else will step forward to fill the void. And then there are people that would like to get involved but don't b/c they see that everything's taken care of and they don't think they're needed. Sometimes you just have to step down in order that others will step forward.

By holding on to something you don't want to do, you may be keeping someone else from stepping in to what God is calling them to do.

I'm certainly not saying you need to step down, but don't let the future of the class/ministry make the decision for you. God will work that out. Just be obedient to what God is telling you to do about your role.

Hands-Free Heart said...

Wow. Natalie wrote exactly what I wanted to write... although I wasn't sure how to say it. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. All the way down to not saying you should or shouldn't quit.

Only other thing I would say is to ask the Lord to either give you a passion for it or give you peace about stepping down. I prayed something similar about a completely different situation, and the Lord really surprised me with the opposite answer than I originally thought would have been "his will".

Melissa said...

I think you need to discern if this is just a season you are going through or if you are burned out. Don't do it out of obligation or fear....if the program has to take some time off because there is not adequate help then maybe people will get more involved....it may be the push they need.

Trish said...

It's such a hard decision to make, isn't it? As you know, it all comes down to hearing God's voice on what He wants you to be doing. I know how easy it is to volunteer for way too much stuff.

Questions - Is this a year-round program? Can you commit through the summer and then step down? We had to do that with children's worship - set a time frame and then follow through - not because it is a bad thing but because it is not where our focus is right now.

(Not to stir anything up, but could they attend a program somewhere else without you having to volunteer? Just a thought.)

The Gang's Momma! said...

Yeah, what they all said! Especially in light of the fact that you already do so much.

Hands Free's suggestion to "ask the Lord to either give you a passion for it or give you peace about stepping down" is an absolutely perfect starting place.

Plain and Simple said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post and the comments. I'm right there with you!

Amelia Antwiler said...

Wow. I haven't been around much - but you've had a lot going on.

When I needed to step down from teaching the preschool class I just knew it was time. It wasn't fun. It was terribly hard. Then a wise woman told me that sometimes the grace lifts. My grace had lifted for that task and I haven't looked back. So I decree right now that you'll see the next step to take.