Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Nothing Says Summer Like A Trip To the ER!

What started out as an innocent trip to violin lessons ended in a dash to the ER. I had to take Shaggy over to the middle school for his summer music program this morning. He goes 3 times a week for 45 minutes. There's not much to do out by the middle school and 45 minutes isn't enough time to run out for anything so Drama King, Rocker and I usually just hang out. The boys play on my cell phone or we go to a near by park.

Today I wanted to finish a good book I have been reading and not do much because we then had to head over to church for VBS right after practice. My cell phone died within 5 minutes of the wait and the boys got rambunctious. They asked to get out and run around so I suggested a walk. We headed down a walking path that circled a neighboring elementary school when the boys discovered a playground. Without warning the burst off down the path and were climbing the equipment. I sat down on the playground and watched as they happily expelled energy. DK decided to climb up a climbing wall so I meandered over to cover for him. 2 years ago Shaggy fell off of one at school and broke his leg.

As I carefully watched DK I heard Rocker yell to me "Watch this mommy," thump! Blood curdling screaming came from my little boy. Unlike other mom's who probably would have rushed to his side I gingerly walk over doubting the whole dramatic scene. I ask him what hurts and he really wasn't telling me, he just said all over. You have to understand this kid screams when I cut his toe nails. I finally began to think something might be wrong and headed back to the van with the two of them. After assessing the situation I just thought maybe he sprained his wrist. He could still move everything but there was significant swelling. I gathered the rest of my posy and headed to the church. I knew with VBS they had two nurses on hand. I was going to ask them what they thought. I finally settled Rocker down and the screaming stopped. We prayed in the van and he was able to find Jesus kneeling next to him hugging him.

When we got to the church the nurse thought I should take him to the ER. So we headed out and to the ER. We prayed for Supernatural favor and quickness. They took us right in and got Rocker x-rayed. By 10am we found out in fact he broke both his bones in his left arm below the wrist. The doctors asked when this happened and I had to explain it was about 8:30 this morning. She asked me half serious/half joking "who takes their kids to a playground at 8:30 in the morning?" I just answered "that would be me."

So there you have it. Summer kicks off with a bang and a thud. Poor guy I feel bad I wasn't a little more sympathetic at first. At one point in the van the drama was so over the top I started laughing to myself and now I feel so bad. I guess after raising 3 very active boys I am becoming a little too immune to this ER thing. So please keep us in prayer. We are not fairing to well this summer with Lyme's Disease and now broken bones.

6 comments:

Beautiful Grace said...

Ouch!!! Fire broke his ankle two years ago on the July 3rd. There was no doubt in my mind that it was broken...lots of swelling and crooked. He has a high pain tolerance, so he really didn't complain much.

Anyway, may Jesus pour out His healing power and protection on your family. Strength in Jesus' name!!!

Kelli said...

Hye, don't feel bad for being immune. If you get freaked out then they'll be totally lost. :) Missed you today!

Hands-Free Heart said...

I did the same thing (immunity) with Fuzzy Wuzzy last year when he broke both bones in his right arm/wrist last August. He was simply climbing the kitchen chair! I saw him fall and actually thought, "That didn't look too bad!". He cried himself to sleep in the van, as we had to go pick up Squiggly-Wiggly from his first day of Pre-K. By then I did call the Dr. because it was hanging kind of limp and swelling. But when he woke up he started using it to play and everything... he just couldn't hold toys of any weight with it.

Such adventure with boys, huh? I do hope it heals quickly. If he doesn't have his cast yet, you should ask about a waterproof one. I saw on a blog somewhere about a breatheable waterproof cast that can go right into the pool and everything.

Natalie said...

My word!

Anonymous said...

There's never a dull moment in raising boys. Don't feel bad, when my oldest was in Jr High, he fell out of a tree and broke both wrists. He was at a football game with a friend. He checked in with me at halftime and told me about the fall but said he was all right and I let him go stay overnight with a friend. In the morning when I picked him up, he came holding up each arm, when he finally let me look at them, I knew they were broken. Sooooo, at least you took care of him before the next day!!!

I'm sure that when he saw Jesus beside him, the healing was already taking place. Thank you Jesus that we aren't the only ones caring for our children!!

Amelia Antwiler said...

ours was a bunkbed. End of summer. And only a fraction...our cast was PINK. and she ended up with a new gameboy game. *L*

It wasn't until she told me that she couldn't move it that I thought I'd better call the doctor. It didn't get a cast until the next day, tho. I'm glad that he got a cast right away.