Friday, May 8, 2009

I'm Not A Goat and Neither Are You


Have you ever heard of a fainting goat before? No, well there are such animals called fainting goats. Growing up on our sheep farm we knew of them and saw them at various farms. They literally faint. The technical term for this conditions is myotonia. The picture above is a young goat that has collapsed because of being startled. If a fainting goat is startled or frightened it's muscles stiffen and it collapses for a short period of time.

It was funny growing up watching these animals. Sounds of cars honking or tractor trailers bumping by would literally knock them over. We would laugh and laugh as kids witnessing this phenomenon but I am actually not laughing about it any more today. Last night our teacher at our School of Ministry taught and the prayed over the class about being bold for the Lord. I humbly asked for prayer last night because I struggle with fear of rejection. I don't step out many times for the Lord because fear grips my heart and makes me feel paralyzed. At the end of class Pastor D. prayed for me. I felt a release and peace and lightness I have not felt before. I renounced the power fear had in my life and declared to my spirit and soul I would no longer serve the spirit of fear.

Today I had to go to the store before dropping the boys off for school to grab last minute field trip lunches. I totally forgot until this morning that they had field trips and we were out of bread. Walking to the register I heard the Lord say use the line with a cashier. That is not my style. I am a "avoid all humans" kind of person. I "B" line it right to the self check out without batting an eye. It was funny the boys were heading to the self check out ahead of me because they know I am such a creature of habit and sad to say they are probably picking up my habit. So I listened to the Lord and walked to the only line open. An older gentleman was manning the register. I felt the Lord say engage in conversation with him so I did. Nothing profound came from the experience but as I walked away I heard the Lord say "Now was that so hard?" (He smiled) "Oh, my, no that wasn't hard at all but Lord I didn't pray for him or have a profound word to give him. Did I screw up again?"

The Lord continued to speak to my heart as I dropped off the boys at school. He told me He was easing me into this but that He was happy I obeyed him in the little task of engaging in a conversation with this man. I then remembered how I used to refer to myself as a fainting goat. I remarked to the Lord (like He didn't already hear my thoughts) "Lord I am just a fainting goat. Sometimes I get spooked and fall over." Well, the Lord didn't find it as amusing as I did because I heard a stern voice speak quickly after my comment. He said "No you are not! You are not even a goat but a sheep. Do you remember what Pastor D. said last night. Those who do not hear My voice and obey are the goats but I have called you My sheep. Stop it!" "OK Lord I totally get it." He continued "No you don't. You have been around goats for so long you believe you are one of them. You are My sheep you and you know My voice so stop fainting at the enemy's call."

Wow. I went home and goggled fainting goats. I wanted to know some more information on them because I felt the Lord stirring in my spirit to understand all the truth He had for me regarding this. Here is what I found in the Encyclopedia about fainting goats...


A fainting goat is a breed of domestic goat whose muscles freeze for roughly 10 seconds when the goat is startled. Though painless, this generally results in the animal collapsing on its side. The characteristic is caused by a hereditary genetic disorder calledmyotonia congenita. When startled, younger goats will stiffen and fall over. Older goats learn to spread their legs or lean against something when startled, and often they continue to run about in an awkward, stiff-legged shuffle...It is theorized that fainting goats were used by their handlers during travel for protecting other livestock (such as sheep) from predators by involuntarily "sacrificing themselves" due to their condition. This allowed the handlers and livestock to escape.
Oh my goodness I don't ever want to refer to myself as a fainting goat. How many times did the "false shepherd" in my life trick me into believing I needed to faint? How many times did I needlessly become a sacrifice for the enemy. The Good Shepherd defends His flock. In the middle east the shepherd's watch constantly over their flocks for predators. They take turns sleeping and watching always having at least one shepherd on duty at all times. Only western shepherds leave their sheep to graze unprotected. We may build fences up to keep them safe but doesn't that sound to you like a false sense of security. What would you rather have a fence or a watchful shepherd ready at any moment to kill anything that tired to harm you.

So I declare now that I am no longer a goat but a sheep in the Good Shepherds flock and I declare over you that you are no longer a goat but a sheep. So let's all stop fainting and stand knowing our Shepherd cares for us!! I AM NO GOAT!!!!!

3 comments:

After His heart said...

THANK YOU! I am no goat either. I will not faint, I will not fall over, I will not sacrifice myself. I will stay near my Shepherd and I will obey His voice.

You are amazing in not only your hearing but your pressing on!!

Beautiful Grace said...

I am not a goat, I am a sheep!! I will "stand up" to the intimidations of the "False Shepherd" in the great name of Jesus!!! AMEN!!!

Thanks again for the lunch and chat yesterday! ;)

Anonymous said...

Look at you with all those technical terms...myotonia ;)

Good post...and, I know I have been there too. But, as I break out of my 'shell' I find it easier and strengthening to act as the Lord directs...

Your conversation with the cashier may have been the only genuine conversation he had that day....who knows - but when we act on the Lord's direction...know that something breaks in the spiritual.

Good word. :)