Thursday, March 6, 2008

Finding The Time

Right now finding time for myself has been so difficult. I know that sounds selfish but I don't mean I want to be alone 24/7 and ignore everyone around me. I just want some time to do something I enjoy doing without being interrupted 20 million times. I need some down time in my week.

I love art. Sculpting, painting, drawing and weaving are ways I relax and actually meditate on the Lord. It hasn't happened in a long time and I can feel the effects. I feel stressed and cranky and just a bit out of sorts. So now I need to see how to fit in some time to unleash my creative side.

I want to be understanding to my family and husband but I also want to say "Can you just give me an hour or two?" Being a stay-at-home mom doesn't allow me any down time. With stepping into ministry I also find myself giving a lot of time and energy into the children I minister to. These kids come from really broken backgrounds so emotionally by the end of the week I am completely spent. So all this rambling on to ask if there are any of you who have mastered this down time or personal time as a mom? I would love to know some tools and techniques I could try to meet every one's needs and leave a little time to start painting and weaving again. Is it possible or am I asking for the impossible? I want to be obedient to the Lord and give to those areas of my life He has called me to. I also want to just sit in His presence and draw about His love or weave in His joy. I guess that might not make sense to most everybody but that's what I am looking for. Any suggestions?!

4 comments:

The Gang's Momma! said...

This is a can of worms, I know! I'm not one who goes to either extreme of this discussion (serving others to the exclusion of caring for self vs. taking care of self first in order to care for others appropriately). Rather, I tend to take it "one day at a time." I give myself permission to have completely unstructured time (be it days or hours or minutes) depending on the rhythm of our calendar for that season. I've learned what refreshes me, and have even tried some new things along the way in trying new ways to fill up again.

However, none of my "refreshing" hobbies are quite as involved as yours sound. For me, some really good music, a blanket and a good book usually does the trick. And within that, there is even a ton of variables. If it's been a very busy, "run run run" kind of week, a brainless, light-hearted book is the one I grab. But when our calendar is a bit lighter and the Lord doesn't have me "brewing" over any particular issue (usually related to the current sermon series our church is in), I pick a deeper or more purposeful piece of fiction, or a biography, etc.

I do know, however, that I just HAVE to find time to unwind. Date night, early bed-time, phone off the hook, walk around the block to say hi to the neighbors, whatever works. You must give yourself permission to find your boundaries and then enforce them. The Boss has been great for me in this: he can see my "yes" to everyone and everything around me coming a mile away and warns me off very well!

There, that's my take. I hope it helps! And if you want to talk more about this, email me! My wheels are turning right now with some things I need to tighten up and spiff up in this area. Thanks for opening up the topic!

This Journey of Mine said...

I'm struggling with similar issues right now. Hence the reason we announced a 3 week sabatical from having people over. I might add that I caved last night at dinner time.

Anyways, I have found that evenings are my best time of the day. I lock myself in a room sometimes and sew or paint or write, all with worship music playing. I've told my husband that I need this time, badly. He rates me as the barometer of the house, so if I'm grumpy then likelihood is the rest of the house will suffer. He works hard at giving me space when I need it.

BTW - I don't get that everyday, even weekly, sometimes its monthly. Other times, its more regurarly. Bottomline, as mom and one who loves to minister to others, I never get enough time to myself, ever....

Kelli said...

:) I'm still fortunate enough to have "down time" during Bubba naps. It doesn't happen every day, because a lot of time I'm folding laundry, checking math papers, cleaning whatever Bubba has recently destroyed or reading for class. :)

Trish said...

Solitude is an absolute must for me! If I go too long without having a break from other people, it becomes almost a physical need. And there are definitely evenings where I send the guys out to McD's or something like that to get a little time alone.