Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Playgrounds Are Dangerous

Playgrounds are a dangerous place. Kids could get hurt by falling off equipment or getting their hair caught in the chains of the swings. They are also dangerous because I am there. You see my tract record with playgrounds isn't that good. When Drama King was 3 I accidentally flung him off a tire swing. He told me he wanted to go faster I just forgot to check if he was holding on. He did look like Superman flying across the wood chip covered ground. I also spun a friends kid so fast on a tire swing they puked.

So now you are getting the picture the danger lies more with me than with the equipment. The list could go on. We have a first aid kit in the back of the van just for playground outings. Sad, I know. Well the saga continues with the most recent episode. I was out with the boys on a sunny not so cold day recently. Some other mothers had brought their little ones out. I mean little. They had to be between 1 & 3 only. This particular park had a great playground for the bigger kids and beside it was equipment for younger ones. Our family rule is when others are there you stick to the older section and watch out for little ones. Then the age old rule don't go up the slides applies too. Basically the boys are good at following these and being careful of others but hey also rip around playing tag or just exploring. Well these moms were letting the little guys climb all over the older section. I was quite surprised since some of the things were really high. They just plopped them up there and said "Oh look how cute you are." Then the kid would start crying for the fear of falling to it's death.

I tried to sit down a little and watch. The boys like to climb. No biggy. They climb on the outside of the tunnels but never get in kids way or become rude. I was getting the evil eye from the other moms. Finally one of the mothers stepped in front of the boys to stop them. She then began to yell at them for playing too rough on a playground. I might be quiet in most situations but you get in between my kids and I and my New Jersey side pops out. I walked over to them trying to keep my cool. After she finished her dissertation I commented "You have a problem with my kids!" The woman was clearly taken back and responded with "Excuse me." So I answered again. She then told me her issues and tried to defend her position. Well it officially became WWF Smack Down Mom Style. No punches were thrown but I let her have a piece of my mind. I politely but strongly told her what I thought. So now I feel awful. Did I step the line or did I do the right thing? I didn't curse or yell just told her my three point list of why she better back off. Then she and her little entourage left 5 minutes later. No threats but just not backing down. I know many of you still have little ones and I thought of that later. I remember those days but honestly I stuck to the age appropriate playgrounds. So here's the deal, you get to comment. Do you agree with my actions, wish I could have handled it better or will never invite me to the playground with you and your children.

I don't want to shame the Lord for my actions and I want to be an example of Christ so I really feel I blew it.

8 comments:

Krazy Klingers said...

I don't know if you were right or wrong but I would have probably done the same thing. Then again I am the mother of one tough little 20 month old girl who beats up on boys. I tend to take Laney to the park but when there are older kids we stick to the swings or come back at a later time. She likes the bigger kids stuff but she isn't ready to play with the big kids yet.

Natalie said...

First, being an example of Christ doesn't mean letting people walk all over you or your kids.

Second, hopefully, because of your words of caution, that mom will think twice about what equipment she puts her kids on and you will have saved her a trip to the ER in the future.

Third, if this is really nagging you, just pray that God will redeem the situation and help you to respond better the next time.

However, if I had been there I would've helped you kick her butt in the parking lot.

Hmmmm, that's becoming a common response for me. I think I may have issues :)

Melissa said...

I would have loved to have been there! I keep my little one on the toddler section of the playground. Those kids didnt belong with the older kids in the first place. You were totally right and I would have done the same thing! I turn into an angry mama bear if someone does something to my kids!

Kelli said...

I have to agree with my buddies: little kids should stay in the little kid playground.

I wasn't there. I don't know what was said, but just becasue we're Christian doesn't mean that we step aside at every confrontation. (Not-So-Classic read a great book (gasp) called No More Christian Nice Guy and it was awesome.) Standing up for what is right is ok.

I have to say, I would have probably met them in the parking lot with you and Nat. We could absolutely take down any group.

Melissa said...

Add me to the playground parking lot rumble. Anyone correcting my kids (including my own family members) will suffer my wrath if they do not come to me first to allow me to resolve the problem.

Little kids go to little playground. That is why it is there. And, I will tell you this...many people would have been too embarressed or anti-confrontational to have approached that woman. I'll bet your boy's respect and trust level for you raised about 10 notches.

Don't allow this to be a stumbling block. If you pray about it and think it through and come to the conclusion you would do/say the same thing again, then I think (knowing your soft heart for Christ) that you did the right thing. It is okay to defend your children when they have done nothing wrong.

Anonymous said...

You GO GIRL! Nothing wrong with defending your little chicks. God gave you that instinct-GO with it. Just try to do is like HE would.

Hands-Free Heart said...

I think I need to read the No More Christian Nice Guy book. Still, I may have stepped in and said something... at this point I really haven't dealt with others inappropriately correcting my kids. I can't really comment on the manner of your response as I wasn't there. I like the idea of asking the Lord to redeem it and lots of other comments above. Don't beat yourself up over it. Those moms need to know that their children were on equipment that is designed for your children's ages.

Years ago, before marrying HotSauce, I would have judged any child as inappropriate who climbed on the outsides of the tunnels, etc, because it seemed dangerous, etc. But in caring for my friend's older boys over the years with HotSauce, he has taught me that the boys need this extra ability to climb and that in general they are pretty good judges of what is and is not safe for them... how high they can jump down, etc. So now I see it as normal.

I always have allowed my young children on the bigger equipment if they want to be there... but not if I see a bunch of bigger kids playing too rough for them... its relative. Fuzzy-Wuzzy is one tough dude and easily plays with kids twice his size and strength, so with him I probably would have left him there and not have worried too much. When Squiggly-Wiggly was small, I would have removed him from the big equipment and taken him to the little kid equipment, because of his temperament and lack of experience/comfort with bigger kids and their energy.

Beautiful Grace said...

I'm probably not one to give my advice. Strongman has told me for years that I allow everyone to walk all over me. However, when my children have been "threatened" something inside of me roars. It's like, I'm become a lioness protecting my cubs. I've never gotten nasty (at least that I remember) but I have stood up for them. I believe there is a balance between "turning the other cheek" and "sanding up for oneself or your kids."

As far as your actions, only you and the Holy Spirit can work that one out.

Bless you for being tender-hearted enough to care whether or not you did the right thing. :)