Friday, September 5, 2008

Gas Prices Are Rising But Modesty Is Falling


This is bit of a rant or tirade. I experienced an uncomfortable moment at church the other day with my Knight that just appalled me and I am realizing that it is happening more and more. The modesty level in our society is almost non-existent. Now don't get me wrong I like to look good. I like to feel sexy and attractive but I have learned the hard lesson over time that there is a very fine line you can cross where your attractiveness has now become immodest. As a young girl I dressed to get the attention of young men. My Knight taught me that I didn't need to do this any more. He really showed me that my flaunting causes young and older men a like to stumble in their thoughts.

Well the other day we were in service and this very young teen and her friend sat next to us. Why they call those pants low-rise I have no idea because they were definitely not rising but falling. As she sat down her pants literally fell lower on her. My Knight turned away from the Pastor who was speaking and sat almost facing the right side of the sanctuary so he would not have her in his line of view. I felt so bad for him because I could tell how uncomfortable it was making him. There she sat with her crack exposed and a nice whale tail popping up(for those of you who don't know that's a thong).

It only got worse this young lady then got up in the middle of service to go out. She never hiked her jeans back up. She was about in the middle of the row so she mooned everyone she passed and probably the entire back row. I was not mad at her at all. I actually felt so embarrassed for her and wanted to follow her to the bathroom and explain what just happened and how she should protect and respect her own body but I didn't. Honestly, not being in service much I wasn't sure how the church would address something like that so I just prayed. She finally came back with her pants hiked up as far as they could go which wasn't that far, but as soon as she sat down it was the same scenario all over again.

I would love to address our youth someday about modesty and how to be attractive without lowering ourselves to the worlds standards. I know its hard. Every time I go shopping I
literally have to try stuff on to make sure I am not exposing myself to others in any way and I know there have been times I have mistakenly worn the wrong thing. Thankfully I have a loving husband that watches out for me in that area but we need to really help our young women. So that's just my rant. Having a husband and raising three boys I am keenly aware of what young women wear and think about how that will affect their thought lives. That's all I have to say about that.

4 comments:

Beautiful Grace said...

I'm not sure if this young lady attends our youth group, but I do know Mamma B had addressed this concern.

Strongman helps me out in this area too. My weight tends to fluctuate a bit and sometimes a perfectly decent outfit fits a little snugger during the pudgy days. Strongman will say something like...You can wear that for me anytime, but I don't know about wearing it out in public.

I absolutely DO NOT agree with immodesty, however, the flip side is that many men have a stronghold in this area and sometimes their problem gets blamed on the women.

Dear Jesus, teach us ALL how to live in purity and for your glory!!! AMEN!!!

Kelli said...

As a mom of a little girl, I know that we have addressed this issue over and over again as buying modest clothes has become more difficult. There is a way for young ladies to look good and not look trashy.

As a mom of a young boy, I wince when I think of the world he will have to observe and keep his mind pure.

Yeah. No solutions, just a big "I agree with you."

The Gang's Momma! said...

Yeah, no solutions here either. But I have to say, kudos to Knight for turning away. My Shaggy told me once that he just looks shoulders up all the way down the halls at school and hopes his shoes never come untied! :)

Anonymous said...

My first thought was glad I have a boy so I don't have to worry about this, but then I realized I have to worry about it from the other perspective, and there will come a time that I have to address it.