Monday, September 29, 2008

Taking A Big Step


I took a huge step this weekend that I thought I would never take. I stepped down from Children's Ministry completely for at least a year. I know that might not sound big to some but for me it is huge. For the last 10 years I have been in some way volunteering in Children's Ministry at our church. It has been difficult at times but also very rewarding.

My decision came after a month or so of wrestling with the Lord. I heard Him tell me to lay it all down for a season and so I have been dragging my feet. I laid a few things down here and there but in the end He wanted it all. He has called me to relearn who I am in Him this year. I was wrestling so much with Him on this issue because I have allowed my identity to be found in my position as a mom, wife and church worker and so on. Now I know the church is always encouraging us to get connected to a ministry and get involved and this probably sounds like the worst time to be pulling out of ministry but I need to obey right now.

Last fall during my first year at our School Of Ministry I was sitting in one of Pastor Thom's teachings and he was  talking about getting in the presence of God and listening to the Fathers heart. Pastor Thom took the opportunity to quiet the class while he read scripture and then allowed us time to listen for the Father. There I heard the Lord say to me "If you do nothing else in your life but sit in My presence then you will have accomplished everything I have called you to do. Everything else in this world; ministries, positions in church, words of knowledge, healings, missions and so forth are just extras. My one desire is for you to be in my presence and all these other things will flow from your overflow."

It was a hard hitting word for me. I once heard a Pastor say "I don't want to get to heaven and have God play a video of everything He wanted me to accomplish that I didn't get to." That statement thrust me into a works mentality. So now the Lord is taking me on a whole new journey. One where I don't do much but sit in His presence. This will be one very interesting year for me but like a dear friend told me last night I am not going to just sit and wait for this year to pass watching the hours slip by. I will find God in the midst of my quiet days and I will seek His glory. It is time to be led by the still waters.

4 comments:

Beautiful Grace said...

When my life gets so busy with responsibilities, I can't find the time to sit in the Presence of Jesus like my heart longs to do. I am glad that you will be able to spend more time with Jesus this year. Bless you and yours. Good seeing you on Saturday, sorry I didn't give you a hug. I was a little distracted. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful revelation about sitting in His presence. I admire your courage in following what the Lord is telling you to do even though it feels strange. I'm sure He will be teaching you a lot about hearing His voice this year.

Melissa said...

"Time spent in His presence is never a waste!" I think Beth Moore said that, but it is so true. We've been programed to believe we are not true servants unless we are "doing" something. Go for it and embrace this freedom He's revealed to you! I get a feeling mountains will be moved!

After His Heart said...

Every message I'm hearing lately is "this is the season of His Presence". When Dutch Sheets shuts down everything at his church for 90 days to host the Lord's Presence you better believe it is more important than anything He could say or do. I can't wait to hear and see what the Lord reveals to you!! I'm so proud of you!!