Monday, September 1, 2008

A Sunday Hike With A Deadly Encounter



So are there any Herpetologists out there who can ID our infamous guest. You will find him in the slide show. We came across him hiking in a local State Park. We have always kept our eyes out for them but this was the first time we came face-to-face only 3 feet away. It was a very beautiful creature but I will let you have a look. I will post more on our encounter tomorrow but for now leave a comment if you think you know what this creature is and your reaction if you came across it hiking with your family.
*** The slide show is sort of grainy because of the transfer from iPhoto to Quick Time. Sorry about that. I hope you can still get a good glimpse of our friend.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh good lord, is it a rattlesnake?!! What would I do? Run for my life.

Melissa said...

Those are beautiful pictures, but OH MY WORD...that snake looked huge!!! I'm not so sure I would've stuck around to take pictures....I would be high tailing it back outta there!

Beautiful Grace said...

It was hard to see, but what I did see looked like diamonds on his back and a rattle-tail, aka, The Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake or the scientific name Crotalus adamanteus. Yikes!!!!

Tiffany said...

I think I would have peed myself.

Hands-Free Heart said...

Wow, that snake was huge!