Thursday, February 7, 2008

How I Met My Knight

In honor of our 10th Wedding anniversary tomorrow I thought I would reminisce about how we met. It's such an amazing, dramatic love story. NOT!!

My sophmore year of college my roommates decided they were going to hook me up with someone. They once had tried unsuccessfully already and I was very leery about doing this again. In the mean time I discovered a motorcycle started showing up on the campus and parking in the same lot that I had to park in. Oh, boy! I knew right away this was the man of my dreams. At my roommates prompting we all made a list of what we wanted in a husband at the beginning of the year. I think, because they were very sincere Christian women, they were looking for something with more depth then my list but this is what I wrote...
  1. Tall at least 6 feet
  2. Dark hair, rough looking
  3. Biker dude, a must
  4. Outdoors type
  5. Tattoo's, arm sleeve, arm band
  6. Must have rebuilt a car or truck
  7. Athletic
  8. Love God
  9. Wants to be a Pastor (don't ask where this came from, maybe the Lord)
So there you have it. I knew this mysterious motorcycle dude was the man of my dream list. I began to park my little WV next to his bike and truck so I could possibly run into him. Weeks I waited and no guy. One time my friend Mumbe (she was from Kenya) and I were jogging and the motorcycle guy rode past us. Mumbe bumped my arm and said "There he goes, run and catch him." Totally out of my norm but completely love stricken I ran after this guy on the motorcycle yelling and flailing my arms about. He must have seen me and he kicked the bike into a higher gear and sped off. I was not discouraged though. I knew this was my man and I would get him eventually!:)

So my roommates finally arranged for a mystery phone call instead of a blind date. Low and behold it was the motorcycle guy. We had a great talk and his voice confirmed my suspicions that this truly was the man of my dreams. Well he got cold feet and didn't call again. Now my roommates and a friend of theirs arranged a meeting for us. It was a surprise for the both of us. I was to meet my roommates guy friend to get her frying pan back and they convinced the motorcycle dude to take the frying pan back to my roommate.

I go to the designated meeting place and here comes this short dorky guy. OK this isn't Todd. He introduces himself and says he's looking for Christie my roommate. So now we both get the idea of whats going on. He informs me he is the guy who I talked to one the phone with. As I stare at him all my dreams of this hunky motorcycle guy came crashing to an end. He on the other hand (I found this out later) realizes I am not the woman he had pictured on the phone. Apparently he was looking for a short, dainty, brunette and here I was blond and taller then him. I am also in no way dainty! We talked about the bike and not too much else. He was athletic but a cross country runner which I don't like running long distances and I told him I played La Cross and he told me he didn't know anything about La Cross. What a way to start this relationship.

He finally asked me out a month later. We went to a Christian Fellowship meeting on campus where they did a feet washing ceremony. Very weird to me. My knight actually washed my feet on our first date. I think it was more prophetic then we realized at the time. We dated some more. I took him Fly Fishing which I love. I actually got him interested in it and we fished a lot together. We took lots of rides on his motorcycle and slowly but surely my mental picture of my dream husband faded away and I began to fall in love with this guy. He felt the same after he got over the height, hair and dainty issues. And so we have been happily married for 10 years tomorrow! Jane Austin eat your heart out!!!!

My Knight & I at a Children's Ministry Function.

4 comments:

Krazy Klingers said...

I actually love to hear stories like this one... it makes it more real, not all fairy tale.

The Gang's Momma! said...

Love it! I didn't necessarily like The Boss much when I met him the first time either. . . But now I laugh about that - he was just trying too hard. Happy Anniversary :)

Kelli said...

You fly fish too? Is there anything you can't do????

Hey, Happy Anniversary!

Beautiful Grace said...

God remains the best romance writer of the ages!!! Happy "Late" Anniversary!!! :)