Thursday, February 28, 2008

I Just Wanted A Day To Relax


All I wanted was a day I could finally do nothing or go nowhere. Today was supposed to be it, but like that was going to happen. My days have been so packed with ministry at church and in our home, along with the daily chores and being a mom to three energetic boys, I just wanted to leave today open for relaxing and having fun. It started out great with my husband letting me and Drama King sleep in while he took the boys to school. That was wonderful. With all the craziness of our schedules lately I have just been crashing in the evening.

Then I awoke to a raviness 5 year old on the prowl for breakfast but there was none. I looked through all our cupboards and they were empty. So I made a mad dash to the grocery store. To make up for a breakfast I let Drama King pick out a Kids Cuisine meal for lunch. Something special I don't usually do. I grabbed breakfast and some hair coloring. I thought it would be a great day to do my hair. I haven't colored it in a year so it would be a nice change. Nothing dramatic just a little color to get the dullness out. So back home we went. We had breakfast and even put two puzzles together while my hair was twisted up and changing color. The timer went off and I let Drama King go down to watch a cartoon while I dove into the shower to rinse the hair color out and shave my hairy legs. Things seemed to be going along swimmingly.

As I put conditioner in my hair and finished shaving one of my legs Drama King bursts into the bathroom and lets me know his lunch doesn't look right. My brain was trying hard to figure out what this interruption was all about. I still had not had any coffee for the morning so I was only running on a few cylinders at this point. Then he poked his head into the shower and told me that he had put his Kids Cuisine in the microwave and nothing was happening. Shear terror hit as I realized he was using the microwave unsupervised. I was not happy as I quickly jumped out of the shower grabbed a towel and dashed to the Kitchen. There it was, his lunch in the microwave, still in the box turning around and around. I turned the microwave off and tossed the smoking box to the counter. Mad is probably not the word I would use to describe my emotions by this point. I yelled very loudly and then realized I was standing in front of all my open windows wrapped in a towel, dripping with water. I had left soapy foot prints throughout the house.

I headed back to the shower. Now the soap was dripping into my eyes and I was slowly losing my vision. Some time in the chaotic bolt back to the bathroom I grabbed Drama King and plopped him by the door. There I finished rinsing and quickly shaved the other leg. During this whole time I was back in the shower I had to listen to Drama King sobbing and telling me "I will never eat Kids Cuisine again. I will never eat Kids Cuisine again." The shower helped to calm me down as I thanked the Lord over and over for protecting us. All I could envision was running out of my house wrapped in a towel with my 5 year old flung over my shoulder and our house blowing up or something.

We both took a few deep breaths, forgave one another and now Drama King sleeps peacefully as he naps. Oh, yes the lunch was savable, just extra crispy. I realized we had never set down rules for the microwave with Drama King. We had with the older two and I guess I thought it was just an unspoken rule. So in some ways I had to apologize for my over reaction and not telling him ahead of time not to use the microwave without daddy or mommy helping him. Now I will try to do something really relaxing and take a nap myself. I don't think I will set aside another day to do nothing because knowing my family it will be filled quickly with something crazy. I think I might actually try a spa sometime with no kids!!!!!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

If I didn't know any better I would think that Drama King and #3 must be twins separated at birth! I have to explain things to her that I NEVER dreamed having to explain to the older 2....like, YOU CANNOT GET DADDY'S MARINE CORPS SWORD OFF THE HOLDER THAT IS HANGING HIGH UP ON THE WALL WHILE YOU ARE STANDING TIP TOE ON THE TINY STOOL FROM HIS DRUM SET!!!!!

Kelli said...

Tell me when spa day is, please!!!:)

PS Can't wait to see your hair. :)

Promises said...

What a morning! It will be interesting raising this second boy and remembering that I need to explain things to him, just as we did to Brady...if only we could "download" things like a computer - but I guess that would take away from all of the fun! :)

Mrs. C said...

So...how's your hair?!?

I dream of being spoiled at a spa and then the thought of the cost makes my head explode.

Livin' Life said...

Either I am not used to it being colored again or I picked a bad color but I am not liking it to much which is adding to the disaster of a day I have had.

We must all go to a spa together sometime. Maybe if we explain how desperate we all are they will cut us a break or feel sorry for us. I am with you TCC, I want to go but could not even think about the cost of it.:)

The Gang's Momma! said...

Let me just give you a tip I learned the hard way once the children outnumbered the adults in the Gang house: to truly relax and have a day to "do nothing" you must either send them all (including the daddy, who often "needs" you to do things for him!) OUT of the house without you or YOU must go OUT of the house ALONE. There is simply no other way to truly achieve true nothingness. And even then . . . .

And if you pick a spa about 1-1.5 hours due EAST, I may be able to join you all :) Reading must have SOMETHING spa-like to do - Reading mommies need "nothingness" too, right?

Trish said...

Drama King's comment made me laugh out loud!! You have to write all these things down (oh wait, you just did)...

Beautiful Grace said...

Back in middle school, I accidently dropped a book for a book report in a mud puddle. Thinking, I have to dry it out...I stuck it in the microwave, and it burst into flames.

I told my teacher what I did, and she extended the due date for my report. She said, there was no way anyone could come up with a story like that unless it was true. ;o