Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lessons from the Paddock


Todays story is about Abraham. No not Father Abraham from the Bible but our ram Abraham. He was our first breeding ram when my family started a small farm in New Jersey. We raised over 50 sheep, several beef steers, chickens, 2 ducks, cats, pigs and horses. A little bit of everything I guess. Well Abraham was a Romney Ram lamb when we first brought him home. Very cute and very woolly.

He had a great disposition. He was docile, playful and all around good natured. With rams this is a blessing because you can get some really cranky ones out there who just want to butt you every time you get near them. We all became very attached to Abraham so when his fathering days were over we did not send him to market but let him retire peacefully in his own little paddock. See we had to keep him away from the other rams we brought in for breeding purposes or we would have fights break out in the fields. Abraham was old (in sheep years that is) but he still saw himself as the dominant one.

Well the poor old fellow got up there in years. He reached a full 13 years old. That is great for sheep. However, his pleasant disposition soon gave way to crankiness and just down right mean. He would butt you clear out of his paddock if you stepped one foot in. We had to keep filling his water and cleaning his shed so our daily chores consisted of one of us kids running madly around with Abraham in hot pursuit while another quickly finished the chores. One of the times I was the runner I remember my brother started playing in the water instead of cleaning out the trough and putting the fresh water in. I started screaming at him and began running closer. As soon as he saw me bringing Abraham right to him he finished up, gave the pails a heave and cleared the fence. I too then took to the fence and hurdled myself to safety.

My dad never believed us about Abraham becoming so aggressive. He would always laugh at us. But one day we had the last laugh......

2 comments:

Beautiful Grace said...

Wow, pretty mean ram!!

Something I just noticed was your personality profile. Do you realize we are both INFP's, Dreamers!!! Only 2.5% of the female population and we read each other's blogs. How neat is that? We really have to meet in person. I believe we are coming to church this Saturday. When are you coming?

Also, I know you see angels at times (me too, a few times and heard them singing too!!!) Does the Lord give you dreams?

Bless you, dear heart!!!!

Mrs. C said...

You never cease to amaze me!