Monday, February 4, 2008

Justice Vs. Mercy





I have always been a big fan of Les Miserables. The book by Victor Hugo is an amazing contrast between Justice and Mercy. More recently they came out with a movie version that I thought was a good portrayal of the book/musical. Beyond theatrical interpretations my heart is still stirred with the struggle between Jean Valjean (Mercy) and Javert (Justice). Our heavenly Father is both referred to as a God of Justice and of Mercy. As followers how do we extend our hand in one or the other because they are so opposites?

I am typically a very mercy driven person. My heart naturally flows out of mercy but because of the abuse I have walked through I can react out of a justice heart. When I see injustice occur I immediately turn into JUSTICE WOMEN. I want to see punishment dealt and vindication made. But the more the Lord works on me the more I need to stop and pray.

I myself wanted justice for those times when my innocence was torn from me. Now I look back and realize those people need Jesus as much as I do. Back to the book Jean Valjean was once a criminal who's life was transformed by an act of mercy. He himself begins to reflect a life of mercy. Javert is a police detective who hotly pursues Valjean because Valjean broke his probation to live freely. Javert must see justice dealt at all costs. We were once like Valjean before we knew Jesus. When we asked Jesus to enter our lives this act of mercy allowed us to become free.

Our Father is a Just God, but through His Son Jesus mercy can now be extended. Jesus is mercy. On the cross Jesus could have ended it all; all the pain, all the suffering of his mortal body but he chose mercy. He extended forgiveness when no one deserved it. He took on all the sin of the world when he himself was sinless. That is the problem with mercy it costs us something to give it. Justice comes at no cost to us, but to the individual that committed the "crime". Mercy makes us sacrifice ourselves and it becomes truly an act of God through us. All that is within us shouts Justice, but our spirit lines up with God and He reaches down through us to touch others with His hand of Mercy.

In the end of the movie Javert speaks to Valjean about how he tried his entire life to never break the rules and then plunges into the river with his hands tied. He could no longer live because Valjean (Mercy) kept defeating him at every turn. His struggle with Valjean was because mercy is over-powering and wipes out the need for justice. The Lord has been asking me, am I willing to lay down justice and pick up mercy for all His children? I desire this more than anything but I know it will be a process of overcoming my flesh. I will have to overcome those areas in my life where I still cry out for justice instead of mercy.

3 comments:

Hands-Free Heart said...

I enjoyed reading this.

The Gang's Momma! said...

This was a good one - I enjoy the story too. My favorite movie version was the Liam Neeson one - not just cuz he's an Irish hunk, either :) But I loved the depth that he brought to the character and the themes of redemption and compassion and mercy, too. Good reading!

Kelli said...

I have to say that I got all excited when I saw the picture. This is one of my favorite stories. I love, love, love the musical. (Saw it on Broadway and in London) It was so very popular and I love it when the Lord shows His message through media. I agree, there are so many lessons to be learned about God's grace.