Thursday, April 24, 2008

Calling All Moms Using Baby Sign Language

Just a quick question. I am looking for materials on Makaton Sign Language for the Special Needs Program my church. Does any one use them and have resource information we could look at? I am also wondering if those of you who use Baby Sign Language would have resource materials like the actual signs or videos we could also look at.

Some of our children can not verbally communicate yet and I was researching Makaton Sign Language as a way to introduce communication skills in our Friendship Station ministry at church. The materials are expensive but if I could see what they are and what they look like we might be interested in them and could purchase them. I just need to see if it would help us or not.

Thanks guys. Leave a comment if you know of or have used this type of sign language and how it worked.

3 comments:

Troop 220 said...

Hi I just found your blog and I love that you are interested in teaching sign language to the children. I haven't heard of Makaton before. I teach my little family ASL. I found the best site. It is www.signingtime.com. The creator of signing time has a child who is deaf and created the DVD series to help others learn how to communicate with her child. Take a look at what they have to offer. The DVD's are very resonably priced. They have music, annimation and are engaging for children of all ages. There is even a specific series for Babies. Good luck. You will be amazed at how quickly the little ones will catch on and start letting you know what they need and want. :)

Kelli said...

:) We love, love love "Baby Signing Time" and "Signing Time." (It's what Stacey just told you.) Because of it, Bubba can sign the following: more, please, thank you, all done, milk, drink, eat, cracker, juice, shoes and just today, baby. It's awesome and you can get it from your local library. (I know this because your local library is my local library)

Amelia Antwiler said...

Ditto signing time.
;-) Can't say more than Classic did.