Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Growing Up Is Hard To Do

Shaggy the young man in the red shirt right side of the picture is our oldest. He is just a great kid. They all are. Shaggy is now 9 and reminding us every day he will soon be turning 10 in the fall. I can remember the day he was born, his first steps, and his first words. Things were easy back then as a parent. Yeah, you were tired and run down a lot but the discipline and rearing was pretty simple. You needed to teach them the basics of life and watch them grow.

Today we are faced with the harder issues and allowing them to stretch their own wings. I can honestly see how parents fall into the trap of
controlling their children and stifling their development. I ask for wisdom every day from the Father about Shaggy. Shaggy is stretching and pushing back the boundaries, not in a rebellious or disrespectful way, but reminding my husband and I each day that what worked yesterday may not today. Here is the hard part. I want my children to have their own experiences with God. They need their own encounters and their own understanding of God's Word. They need to come to their own conclusions of life's toughest issues not just rely on what mom and dad believe. To allow them to only run on our spiritual fumes would be certain doom. They need to fill themselves up. But here is the tricky part. You need to ask lots of questions instead of answering them all. I want to just tell Shaggy why and what to do, but that would only handicap him in his physical and spiritual growth. My Knight and I have to rely on the Lord to supply Shaggy's needs. We still have boundaries he needs to stay in and we still impart our own wisdom, but we also need to be flexible and allow him the chance to become a young man. It is all a learning process for us as parents too. While Shaggy's wings spread and grow our parental wings are growing also. My heart wants to desperately equip my children for life not live it for them.

4 comments:

Mrs. C said...

...and it is because of the cries of your heart that it is gonna happen. God is faithful and will give you the wisdom and discernment that you seek.

Melissa said...

I prefer to live life for them! It is so hard to watch them battle it out with just some encouraging words, but they will never learn to fully rely on God if I'm making phone calls and fixing all their problems for them.

This was a good time for me to hear this, #1's gym teacher made some rude remarks to her in class yesterday just because she asked for a tissue to blow her nose. I've come to expect rudeness from her peers, but not a teacher! Man, did I want to send an email!!! But, I didn't. I encouraged her to blow it off (no pun intended!) and pray for her teacher to have a better day today.

Love much... said...

Hey!
I don't know if you've ever heard of the International House of Prayer, but I just moved in order to be out here for it. God has been doing some awesome things out here. One of the programs along with IHOP is called the Children's Equipping Center. They have a whole slew of resources in helping to guide both children and parents in growing in deep relationship with the Lord.... Check it out! http://www.ihop.org/Group/Group.aspx?id=1000008172
Have a blessed day!!

The Gang's Momma! said...

Great post! I am there with you - navigating these new waters as our boys grow is challenging and taxing and stimulating and scary and fun and hard and . . . . . you get me. Such a great heart you have - they are blessed to have you for their momma!