Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Reality Check About the Times We Live In

Last night my Knight headed over to our school for a Parent/Teacher conference for Rocker. It went really well. He his excelling in his school work and his behavior is great. My Knight told me his teacher had nothing but good things to say until the end of the conference.

He shared with me what happened next. His teacher very seriously explained that Rocker has been talking to children about Jesus and explaining to them his beliefs about Creation. They are studying dinosaurs and evolutionary theories in science. Yes this is only 2nd grade. He then raises his hand to give the creation account and let the teacher know he doesn't agree. She told my husband Rocker is no longer allowed to share with his classmates about Jesus, God, or the Holy Spirit and to not discuss Creation in class.

Both our hearts sunk as we heard this. My husband handled this very well and explained to her he would share with Rocker the importance of respecting the teacher but we will not tell him to never share the gospel with others. We would encourage him to share during lunch, recess or on the bus but to be sensitive to the teachers wishes in class. He also said we would talk to him about responding in class to evolution but that we would not discourage him about Creation. These are our core beliefs and values and we will not teach Rocker to stay silent because it gets the children in his class questioning evolution. No one was upset his teacher just finished with expressing that their are many faiths in the class and she is afraid that the children will return home with his information and get the school in trouble. So who is that all about?

Well times have changed. This young woman is very nice and I would not hesitate her teaching any of my children it is just so sad that she has come under the influence of fear. We talked briefly to Rocker this morning and will talk more in depth tonight. The thing we stressed the most is to lean on the Holy Spirit for the right times to talk. The Lord will show him when to open and reveal truth and when not too. We would like to share with Rocker some more on this later today. My children are now facing the small ripples of persecution within the public school setting. It has become a giant reality check for my husband and I.



3 comments:

Amelia Antwiler said...

It's about the teacher.
The fall out of this (if any) could mean her job.

I do applaud the way your talking to Rocker about it. We do have to come under authority - without sacrificing our beliefs. So it's great that you're giving him the right time and place -- and therefore encouraging him to teach about Jesus. May he continue with boldness!!

Kelli said...

My heart just breaks for you all. I would hate, hate, hate to have this happen to my child. HOWEVER, you handled it so well! You are such an amazing family.

Anonymous said...

hey guys.. great page! I look forward to reading more! I have a book for yall.. the blogging church i just finished reading it.