Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Just When I Want To Give Up.....

It is funny how God works. Not funny at the time but humorous now. I have been dealing with this one woman at church for some time. Nothing really obvious but just one of those woman who you could say hi too and they would never bat an eye at you. I have prayed and prayed and prayed and even gone after my own healing because of how offended I would get by her actions.

But there was nothing I could say or do exactly because there was nothing she was doing exactly but just being rude and stand-offish to others. I may be quiet and reserved at times but I will not shrug someone off or be completely rude. So this battle has been years since attending CCC. This woman also has been given leadership type roles in church and it would bug the heck out of me how she treated everyone around her.

Well here's the kicker. I finally gave up. I told the Lord "Fine you won't let me get away with anything but you let her get the spot light and she treats people like crap. I am not going to even try anymore." Ugly stuff I know. So I did. I gave up trying and even began blatantly avoiding her.

So now she comes up to me and starts a conversation recently. I think my mouth fell open and I looked around just to make sure she wasn't talking to someone standing close to me, but no it was me. She even joked around with me. WOW!!! We had a good conversation, not bringing up any of her faults.:) I walked away so healed in my heart through it all. All the prayer and the tears paid off in a moment of time. Will she continue this friendly attitude? I don't know but for that one moment I saw a piece of her heart and connected with someone I have struggled with for so long. There are many people in my life that I said I would never like or get along with and they are the very people the Lord has brought specifically to me to have a close relationship with. This was not the first time I have dealt with this and it probably will not be the last. I am not saying we will be best of friends or that she will even talk to me tomorrow but we started some where. It was a good moment and makes the battles worth fighting.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Of course, I'm so shallow I'm thinking....Who is this woman??! I'll beat her up for you! And, then I started wondering if anyone thought that about me...because in my attempt to hold 3 different conversations at the same time while chasing down #3 and refereeing #1 and #2, I may have appeared to be rude, too!

And as a side note, 2 of my closest friends had been woman I admired at a distance who I thought were stuck up. Isn't God funny? I tell me kids things like that when they go through a difficult time with someone they know....you just never know who God places in your life to be a precious friend after we get all the junk out of the way!

Kelli said...

I had the same exact thing happen to me recently. My mouth is open. Isn't it wonderful how God loves us so much that He won't allow us to be offended for long. :)

This Journey of Mine said...

Can I just say, I understand how you feel on this one? Enuf said.

Beautiful Grace said...

In reading your post, I realize that we ALL are faced with this issue. We have a choice to keep on loving even if that love is not reciprocated. In the midst of someone treating you like that though, it's hard. I've prayed for the Lord to open their eyes to their callousness and then the Spirit reminds me, that even leadership has "stuff" to deal with and that "stuff" may be not even related to us. We just might be the recipiant of them working out their own salvation. I have been learning to run to Jesus in times like that. From the time I was a little girl I have had a strong desire to be accepted by my peers, my family, leaders. I think if people are really honest they would admit the same. The best piece of advice I've received on this subject was from my husband, "When you stand before God, what would rather Him to say, 'Well done my good and faithful servant. You were accepted by church leadership or well done my good and faithful servant, you word of encouragement kept this teen from drugs or your words encouraged someone in their destiny.'" Laying my emotions aside, the answer is a no brainer...Jesus accepts me and I am a destiny influencer and so are YOU!!! Bless you, Dear!!!! :)