Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Birthday List

OK. So my Knight asks me the other day to make a Birthday List this year. He said I could list anything that I would really like for my Birthday this weekend. Anything. I reassure him that I don't like wish lists and I don't care about my Birthday. Get whatever you want me to have. Really, I don't like wish lists its just a personal issue.

No, my Knight says I must. I can't think of anything. I've got it, "Why don't you just use the money you would have spent on my gift and put it down on our debt." We are trying desperately to get out of debt by the end of this year. We are very close to paying it off and we just might make it. But no that idea is shot down quickly. He insists he must buy me a present this year. "How about a gift card to OLD NAVY?" This is the only store I willing go to. "No, no gift cards!!" he protests. So now I try one more time to appease him. "How about a Play Station 3? "I love video games, I mean LOVE them. I haven't had one since I left for college. That would be wonderful. There! I asked for something I really wanted.

Boy you should have seen the look on his face. It definitely was not the right answer. The lecture of why I should not have a video game system went on and on. So now what? We were back at square one. I finally told him what I wanted and he said it was too much money. Well, when did he put a price limit on this list?

Now we enter the discussion with his thoughts of what I want. Let me see......an Ipod. "No, that is what you wanted for Christmas my dear." A new fly fishing rod? "No my old one is fine dear!!!" A Kitchen Aide? "Well like I have said in the past, that would be wonderful if I actually had a counter top in my kitchen to use it on!!!" So as you can see this whole evening just spiraled downwards finally crashing into a fiery mess. I still have no list and I am very afraid to even ask my Knight now if he still plans on getting me a present this weekend. So help me. If you have any good suggestions for a birthday gift let me know ASAP. We might need to make an appointment with Pastor Thom or Pastor Shawn for this one.

By the way, is this just us or do you guys have moments like this in your marriage?

6 comments:

Hands-Free Heart said...

Yes... most times we try to discuss something about ourselves... it spirals just so!

For the birthday list. Hmm... how about something like a date night, or a gathering of some close friends, or a few unique or extravagant craft/textile supplies that you would like but wouldn't normally buy due to price (identify the types of items that would fall into this category).

The Gang's Momma! said...

I always ask for a new Tigger mug, or a date night. Tigger and time with The Boss - those are my biggies. What he does with what I ask is up to him. Unfortunately, he has some waaaay outdated lists of "wants" in his wallet and I keep reminding him to ditch those. . . holidays become grab bags of ideas, then!

No good advice here - except that if you have no expectations, than you'll be able to be happy and surprised by whatever he decides upon!

Krazy Klingers said...

How about a massage from Amy Grube? She does wonders and she isn't that expensive. It gives you alone time and you will feel so much better afterwards. It definitely doesn't cost as much as a PS3 which by the way is what I will be asking for until they go on sale or we come into some money. Until then I will settle for my PS2 the original one that is 10 years old and only works 1/3 of the time.

This Journey of Mine said...

Okay, I run into a similar problem all the time. First, I am horrible at asking for presents and not so good at receiving them either. Second, I feel like we never have money for what I really want, so I don't want to ask my secret lists of wants...like a weekend away or 100 bucks for shopping (something you and I totally are different on!!!).

And then comes the what should we do? I just get stressed out about all that.

Last year, I turned 30 and proceeded to throw up on my birthday.

So, CJ is on a mission to make this year better. Friday night, we will be having dinner at one of my fav restaurants (that someone just happened to send us a gift card for at Christmas), with another family.

And then Saturday, he has some sort of outing planned. I'm hoping it might include an ice hockey game.

Experiences... they are the best gift, in my opinion.

Natalie said...

Dark chocolate, jewelry, weekend away by myself...wait,that's my list!

Melissa said...

Perhaps the phrase "wish list" left you too wide open....perhaps "reasonable request" list would've been better! For me "wish list" conjures up plane tickets to a tropical island or a red convertible!

I must admit, The Husband tries and I am just as difficult at producing a "list". I don't want him to spend money we really don't have on something I really don't need. That leaves him on his own and he just doesn't have time (or the skills involved) to shop for hours!