Thursday, January 10, 2008

Creative Mess








So here are the boys enjoying a cardboard box I retrieved for a children's ministry project. The left over piece was quickly confiscated by the boys and turned into a tent, then to a fort, then to a spaceship. Well this is my life. Creativity is a normal way of life here but the not so normal part is it literally explodes all over the house. I liken it to a volcanic eruption that then spills into every corner of our home. I am just as guilty with this as the boys are and as my Knight constantly tells me it is because of my creative eruptions the boys got this way. Oh well, what can I say.

I have a craft room (AKA crap room) that contains a computer, sewing machine, loom and lots of shelves. However there are no tables or adequate room for really being creative in there so it gets moved to the living room or dinning room. There it takes on a life of its own and migrates throughout the house. Castles are built, expeditions are set, mad scientists experiment and the great artists paint another rendition of the Sistine Chapel. I love being apart of this creative monstrosity until I look at the clock and realize we have company coming in an hour. As a gaze about these amazing works of art I come to the agonizing conclusion I don't really think they would enjoy playing in our fort. So there is a mad dash to clean and most of the stuff gets kicked down the cellar stairs for hiding.

I usually have papers carpeting the floors covered by paint, pencil or markers. Yarn is a necessary evil here always hanging around. Paper Mache', clay and the occasional wood chips can also be present. Like I Was Saying... once told me my home constantly smells like some type of spray adhesive or chemical reaction. All I know is that one day I will have poured all I have into theses next generation artists, scientists, National Geographic explorers or military strategists.

Is it insanity or love that keeps me bound in this mad cycle of creativity? I don't know maybe both. So if you ever drop by unannounced to our home you will either run away screaming or just learn to duck and cover.

PS I really loved the laundry suggestions and comments last post it was intriguing.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

You are my creative, crafting hero!

You go where most moms dare not go.....we play soccer (see, that's AWAY from home), play piano (not too messy), and go to Color Me Mine (where someone else cleans up their messes)!

But, you have inspired me (as usual)! Maybe we'll get the Play Dough out today.

This Journey of Mine said...

I love getting crafty. More for myself then for the boys, though. I'm slowly trying to let go of my neatness disorder. As far as I am concerned life is so much better when the house is at least organized and de cluttered.

The home we are in now, has tons of rooms. So, right now I have a craft room for myself, that turns into a spare bedroom when we have visitors. Now, I just need to spend more time in there!