Friday, January 25, 2008

Count Down to 31

Wow, sorry about the venting session yesterday. Thank you for your encouragement! I needed some time out. I do that often if I begin to throw a tantrum or pity party I put myself in time out with the Father.

I was thinking about this weekend and turning 31. I remembered how last year turning 30 was such a big deal, or so I thought. I actually likened it to Y2K. Do you remember that? Everyone racing all over declaring the end of the world because of a possible computer glitch. You were told to buy MRE's, generators and even stockpile food. It was crazy. In the end we hit the new millennium with out even the lights flickering. Well that was 30. A lot of fuss and no atomic bomb blast or anything.

I am realizing that the older I get the more my body does take a toll. I have always gone by the motto your as young as you feel. Most of the time I feel like I'm in my twenties until last year.

Last year for my birthday my Knight took me skiing. We both love to ski and I have been skiing since I was 9. My dad would take us kids to the Poconos every year. I decided that I was going to start snowboarding. Two years before that I started trying it out and wasn't to bad, not great either but it was fun. So let's do that again I thought. So for those who don't know anything about snowboarding your bindings on a snowboard do not release like skies. You are utterly and completely at the mercy of your snowboard when you fall.

The night went well and I was getting the hang of it. Of course I stayed on the bunny slope. Then I decided I wasn't doing to bad so lets jump up to the next level. Now my head was kind of getting big and I truly believe I was having delusions of grandeur. I went up the lift got off with out falling this time so things were going well. Boy, I'm pretty darn good!! I am one hot snowboarding chick or so I thought at the time. The Lord has an amazing way of showing us how bloated we can get about ourselves.

I creep up to the edge with my board teetering over the lip of the slope and look down. Not too bad, I can handle this. So I jump and head down. First turn pretty good. Second turn a little wobbly . Third turn I a realize how fast I am going and that I have lost complete control of what I am doing. Then without warning I lose it and begin to tumble head over heels down the icy descent. There was no mercy and I could not stop. Thankfully I finally came to a grinding halt. At one point I literally thought I would become like a cartoon and form a human snowball. Laying there on the slope a group of teens stopped and asked if I needed the ski patrol. Trying to gather any shred of dignity I had left I untangled myself and let them know I was fine.

Well after kicking my snowboard down the rest of the mountain I came to the agonizing realization that my body is no longer twenty, it is defiantly in it's 30's. Ouch that hurt. So for this year I thought I might take it easy on myself. Anyone one for Hang Gliding?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

You left me speechless.....you are definitely going to be one of those old, gray ladies jumping out of airplanes complaining that I'm not 70 anymore....now that I'm 80 I need to switch to something more tame like bungee jumping.....

The Husband would be a widower if I ever attempted snowboarding, so KUDOs to you!!!