Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Depression Hurts, But Doesn't Have To Destroy! Part I

I wanted to chronicle my journey through battling severe depression. It is a testimony of God's faithfulness and I would like my children to know one day.

I have come from a highly dysfunctional family. Verbal and emotional abuse was a daily occurrence. I remember struggling with depression as a little girl. For the most part I was outgoing and positive but the pain was always there at the surface. I also suffered a deadly blow with rape and sexual abuse. Through high school the pain finally erupted and began to manifest through coping mechanisms. I began self inflicting injuries. I would take large rocks or irons and bang them against my arms until they bruised. Some how in my mind if I could feel pain physically the pain in my heart wouldn't hurt so bad. Of course this never worked but the deadly cycle just continued until I tried taking my life my Junior year of high school. I was in the hospital when the social worker informed me and my mom I would have to go for counseling. My mom lied and told them we had a counselor at our church and signed off on the papers. I never did get help.

I battled with an eating disorder that spiraled out of control my Senior year. My family would constantly compare my sister and I about our weight. I frequently and excessively exercised and binged and purged. I tried to not eat any food, like an anorexic does, but did not have the self control or discipline so I would find my self gorging food by the weekend and then having to purge it out of my system. These were dark days.

Many people say I have done so much in my life but honestly a lot of it was an escape route for me. Sports, extra circular activities helped me to escape my home environment for periods of time. College was a great transition. When I graduated high school things began to look up for me as I moved out of state and away from my shadowy prison. I found good friends who lifted me up and encouraged me. They were true believers of Christ, not dead religious people like those I grew up with. I began seeing a psychologist at the campus and felt maybe I had finally conquered this cloud of darkness once and for all, but that was not to be......

5 comments:

Kelli said...

I am looking forward to seeing how that girl became the marvelously transformed woman I know.

Trish said...

Thank you for sharing so openly from your life. Your posts are a wonderful glimpse into your life - both your current adventures and the healing that God has worked in you.

The Gang's Momma! said...

I never knew all this about you - but it only adds to my appreciation for the interesting and challenging woman of God that you are and are becoming! I think that's what I like best about you: you are becoming.

Say Anything said...

There are so many layers to you. Thank you for sharing.

Mrs. C said...

I so appreciate the heart with which you are sharing this.

I know we first met after you were married and had no idea of the depth of your pain. That actually bothers me - that I wasn't aware or able to discern. I don't take on condemnation but I can't help but think 'what if'.

My heart is breaking and yet I do rejoice because I know you now (better at least - but aware that there are many more layers!) and you are an excellent example of how powerful His transformation is when one's heart is open to Him.

Thank you for your vulnerability!