Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Failing Motherhood 201


I have told myself time and again when the boys entered school I would not procrastinate on projects or let the due dates creep up on me. So much for that theory!!!

Yesterday I was fumbling through some papers on our desk when a brightly colored sheet caught my eye. "What's this?" I wondered. Then to my horror I realized it was a book report/project for Rocker and the deadline was tomorrow. Gasp!!! No, I couldn't have done this! I promised myself I wouldn't do this!

Even surrounded by very gifted, highly organized people I have failed miserably at keeping up with my kids homework assignments. I failed Motherhood 201 which is second grade projects.

So now as soon as Rocker steps off the bus we hit the road running and I whip him into the living room to start working. The poor child got whiplash. We read the handout and found that it is not just an oral book report but also diorama explaining details and characters. We quickly finished normal homework assignments for that night and then tore into the project. My clean and picked up living room was once again turned into a creative den. We colored, cut, pasted until are fingers were just about to fall off. I somehow managed dinner in the midst of all this. Shaggy and Drama King decided they were going to make their own diorama's. What the hey, my living room is trashed anyway what's another project for the evening going to hurt. So the evening continued on and the project was completed.

I woke up got dressed and drove everyone in to school this morning. I watched Rocker proudly display his project to everyone that he passed going into school. With a smile on his face I actually heard him say "My mom helped me, she's really cool." My heart melted and all that fussing and toil last night faded away. Now with bags under my eyes I head out to buy a white board so I can keep track of these horrible projects and not let one sneak up on me again.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

If that's what one of your projects looks "last minute", I'd love to see one that you had lots of time to do. Crazy good. Like the kid said, "you're cool."

Kelli said...

Nice job! Thankfully it gets better when you can strat blaming them for being "last minute." :)

The Gang's Momma! said...

That's so awesome!

And I don't know when it is that you get to start blaming them for being last minute - my Shaggy is 13 and I still get involved in the biggies. Of course, I fully admit that it might be MY need to be involved that gets me hip deep in construction paper.

I always tease my kids and ask them what WE got on OUR project :)

Mrs. C said...

Very cool project - good recovery too!

Regarding the white board, talk to Say Anything. She's got a good one!